Long Range Ultrasonic Testing (LRUT)
LONG RANGE ULTRASONIC TESTING
Long Range Ultrasonic Testing is an advanced technology for detecting and analysing corrosion where access is difficult.
- Low cost screening with 100% coverage
- Focussing capability to evaluate corrosion distribution around pipe circumference
- Typical test range 60m from single location, ideal conditions can achieve longer distance.
- Testing of pipes up to 48” diameter
- Proven capability on pipe in service up to 125 oC
- Detection of metal loss > 3%
- Ideal where conventional testing is impossible or very costly e.g. clamped,insulated, elevated, sleeved or buried pipes.
- Low frequency ultrasound is transmitted and received from a single location
- The guided waves used travel long distances, even in buried, submerged or insulated pipe
- Reponse from flaws is a function of their depth and circumferential extent
- Focussing allows ultrasound energy to be concentrated into a small region of pipe for detailed localised inspection
- Teletest® uses ‘multi-mode’ technology to characterise and quantify any flaw detected
- A laptop PC runs dedicated Teletest® data acquisition and analysis software. The flaw detector communicates with the PC via a high-speed data link
- Longitudinally and spiral welded
- Ferritic and stainless steels
- Other metals
- Air-to-soil interface
- Air-to-water interface
- Elevated on racks
- Sleeved in road crossings
- Wall, bund or berm penetrations
- External corrosion
- Corrosion under insulation (CUI)
- Internal corrosion or erosion
Pipe coatings etc.
- Foam or mineral wool
- PVC, epoxy, coal tar epoxy
- Bitumastic wrapping
Pipe coatings etc.
- Transmission and distribution lines
- Refinery and Chemical plant
- Offshore risers
- Jetty lines
- Tank farm link lines
- Power plant service pipe
- Storage sphere support legs